We learned of a call for papers for a symposium on 200 years of Peruvian, Mexican, Central American and Brazilian independence at SOAS London. Here the call:
In 2021-22 Peru, Mexico, Central America and Brazil will celebrate 200 years of independence. The Independence of Peru in particular and of the Americas as a whole was a global event. A key battleground of the Age of Revolutions and the birthplace of the First Wave of Decolonization, Latin American independence produced a new world order.
In this hybrid symposium, leading historians from around the world will present and debate new research on the global significance and legacy of these events.
Participants may join us in London or via Zoom. All paper proposals and perspectives will be considered. We particularly seek papers that engage the following approaches:
• Connected histories of independence
• Conceptual and intellectual histories of independence
• Economic histories of independence
• New political histories of independence
• Atlantic and global histories of independence and decolonisation
• Historical anthropologies of independence
• Cultural histories of the symbols and materiality of independence
• Histories of the historiography of independence
• Histories of knowledge and independence
• Histories of centennial and bicentennial commemorations
Please send your paper abstract and 2-page cv to Professor Mark Thurner, email@example.com by November 1, 2020. Please note that we intend to publish an edited volume of original work based on the conference proceedings.
More info here